April 28, 2020
Amidst the COVID-19 pandemic it is more crucial now than ever to consider our social responsibilities and processes. Please reflect on your vote before the June 2 primary election and consider voting through an absentee ballot.
Elevate Rapid City strongly encourages using the absentee voting system to submit your vote. The process is simple and does not take a lot of time. Please visit the Secretary of State’s website for more information, or review these simple steps to acquire your absentee ballot:
1. Print out the application form from Secretary of State website
2. Fill it in. Be sure to sign in the signature box. Check the box that says you are attaching a copy of your photo ID.
3. Take a picture of your photo ID using whatever equipment you have (scanner, printer-scanner, smartphone camera), and print that out to include with your application. If you do not have a printer at home, visit a UPS Store, Office Depot or the Rapid City Public Library.
4. Put it all in an envelope, and address to your county auditor. Pennington and Meade County Auditor addresses are below:
Pennington County Auditor
130 Kansas City Street, #230
Rapid City, SD 57701
Meade County Auditor
1300 Sherman Street
Sturgis, SD 57785
5. Mail it through regular mail.
There is no option to submit these applications online. They must be submitted via regular mail or in person. Of course, you can take your photo ID to your county auditor office in person and complete the process there.
The Auditor will put a ballot in the mail to you two weeks before the election (and immediately for requests received after that). You must then return it to the auditor by Election Day, either mailed or dropped off.